IVP - Behind the Books - Vote for Your Favorite Cover

February 15, 2008

Vote for Your Favorite Cover

Here is an opportunity to get inside the publishing process! We have an upcoming book with Gary Haugen (author of Good News About Injustice) called Just Courage. We have two cover choices below. Please use the comments to tell us which one (the door cover or the candle cover) you like best and why!

Just Courage book cover image 1

Just Courage book cover image 2

Posted by Cindy Bunch at February 15, 2008 12:41 PM Bookmark and Share

Comments

Cindy,

I really like the door. The color and openness and just the vastness of it. Looks like a title for modern times.

To me, the candle is just kind of bland and also has the look of an older book. Of course it is also remniscent of his last book with us, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Then again, when we do a next book with Gary, would it also need a candle? Two books sets a pattern....

Just my two cents. Is this a virtual cover approval meeting? ;)

Comment by: Helen at February 15, 2008 2:28 PM

Cindy,

I can appreciate how both covers speak to the title & subtitle of the book.

The cover with the door is a visual invitation for the wayfarer to step into the wilderness and the unknown; it takes profound courage and trust to walk out, not knowing where you go or what waits for you on the other side of that door.

The candle cover also speaks to me; when shrouded in darkness and when in the midst of profound mystery, trusting the brave and tenacious bit of light by which you walk requires exercising courage beyond normal human limits.

That being said, I find the door cover most appealing. Both covers, like the title of the book, are simple and speak visually to its title. But the door grabs me; there stands an door, wide open in a field that is wide and unoccupied. It invites the restless wayfarer to walk through, step into that unknown, to trust beyond normal human limits into the God's great and wild expedition.

Comment by: Kirsten at February 15, 2008 10:39 PM

Definitely the door. The stark whiteness contrasted with the wood of the door...appealing type colors. Clean. I would be drawn to this book on a shelf. The candle...not so much. I just want to blow out the flame. . .

Comment by: christa Allan at February 15, 2008 11:05 PM

I don't feel like either cover really captures what you're going after. The first is a classic styled Christian living cover, the second is not consistent in ti's message. A candle and courage doesn't really connect for me. I think you need an image that illustrated or captures the word courage better. What Haugen is doing is so edgy and I think the cover needs to convey that idea--an edgy that makes me want to go there with him and be a part of what he's doing. Hope that helps!

Comment by: Margaret at February 18, 2008 9:49 AM

I like the door, too. It looks like somewhere I'd want to go: like there are adventures just out of sight. The candle cover makes it look like the book is about grief, and would be depressing.

Comment by: Pinon Coffee at February 18, 2008 11:39 AM

Cindy,

I like the door cover the best. I think it is extending an invitation to enter into something that takes courage. Seems like wide open spaces of opportunity that Gary Haugen is calling me to.

The candle doesn't capture the same feeling for me. It speaks to me more about keeping the faith or having hope in a dark world but I don't feel connection with the idea of courage with that.

Comment by: Andrew at February 18, 2008 1:06 PM

I prefer the door, though I think the door itself is a little slick (like something you might see on the floor display at Home Depot). So, the first cover, with a more rustic door would be my vote!

Comment by: L.L. Barkat at February 18, 2008 5:05 PM

I like the door. It really conveys the step we as christians need to make by courageously stepping through the door in faith without being certain of the end result but knowing that God is there and will guide us.

Comment by: TF at February 19, 2008 9:02 AM

The candle cover reminds me too much of the cover of Good News About Injustice. Variations on a theme. So, just because of that, I would reject it.

Which leaves option A, the door, by default. The door reminds me of the door in, if I recall correctly, the 7th book of the Chronicles of Narnia, The Last Battle. What might be interesting is if the door on the book cover actually opened up to something different than the field background (i.e., through the door opening, you see a different scene, something more exotic/interesting than a bland field). Because, otherwise, it just looks like a door frame stuck in the middle of a field, and it's sorta like, "So what...?" The door should be leading somewhere, to another destination, not just from field to more field.

Comment by: Nancy Chan at February 19, 2008 2:20 PM

I agree with Kristen's comment of Feb. 15th, and I too would vote for the cover with the door. It inspires me to want to take that step through it and out into the unknown to make a difference for justice in this world.

Comment by: Shirley at February 19, 2008 10:39 PM

definitely the door. more inviting, attractive, engaging. plus doesn't the GNAI cover have a candle on it? the candle design already looks outdated.

Comment by: whm at February 19, 2008 11:06 PM